Love the taste of coffee but your stomach doesn’t agree with it too much? That’s because most coffee is highly acidic, which can cause discomfort in your gut.
The National Institutes of Health estimate that 40% of people in the US suffer from GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) and if acid reflux is hindering your coffee consumption don’t worry, you have options.
You just need to drink the right brew, and it’s all about how the beans are roasted. Coffee is naturally acidic, so it requires a special roasting process to eradicate the unnecessary bodily discomfort.
Check out my list of the best low acid coffee brands that you and your stomach will be happy to enjoy each morning!
Which coffee is least acidic?
The location of where the bean is grown can also make a difference so you will want to check the labels and find coffee from the likes of Mexico, Peru, and Guatemala.
Next you should know coffees that include robusto are high in acid. Choose a brand that is 100% arabica if you want something in lower is acid.
Side Note: Cold brewing can help with the amount of acid a cup can have so this is also another option.
7 Low Acid Coffee Brands
- Lifeboost Coffee Dark Roast Low Acid Coffee
- HealthWise Low Acid Coffee
- Lucy Jo’s Coffee, Organic Sumatra, Low Acid
- Tyler’s No Acid Organic Ground Coffee
- Fresh Taste of Folgers Coffee, Simply Smooth, Gentle on Your Stomach
- Java Planet, Organic Coffee Beans, Colombian Single Origin, Low Acid
- Tres Hermanos Fairtrade Low-Acid Organic Coffee
Lifeboost Coffee Dark Roast Low Acid Coffee
Grown In The Mountains Of Central America: Lifeboost Single Origin Acid Free Coffee is shade grown at a high elevation in the mountains of Central America. The exclusive farms that we work with are all bird friendly and each coffee bean is hand selected to ensure purity.
More info on Lifeboost Coffee can be found here on Amazon
HealthWise Low Acid Coffee
Roasted exclusively with the highest grade and certified Colombian Supremo Arabica beans.
Their TechnoRoasting is said to reduce the heartburn-producing acid common to other coffee products
More info on Healthwise Coffee can be found here on Amazon
Lucy Jo’s Coffee, Organic Sumatra, Low Acid
Lucy Jo’s Organic Sumatra Low Acid is roasted dark to bring out the smoky earthiness Sumatran beans are known for. These naturally low acid beans are very easy drinking with good body and complexity not lost at the darker roast levels.
More info on Lucy Jo’s Coffee can be found here on Amazon
Tyler’s No Acid Organic Ground Coffee
Their secret roasting process strips harmful tannins & lipid acids present in every commercial coffee blend & enhances the aroma and flavor of select ground low acid coffee.
More info on Tyler’s No Acid Coffee can be found here on Amazon
Fresh Taste of Folgers Coffee, Simply Smooth, Gentle on Your Stomach
Folgers Simply Smooth® delivers a mellow and balanced flavor specially roasted to reduce certain irritants associated with stomach discomfort.
More info on Folger’s Simply Smooth Coffee can be found here on Amazon
Java Planet, Organic Coffee Beans, Colombian Single Origin, Low Acid
This single-origin coffee has the full-body Colombia is known for with beautiful fruit tones. an is Java Planet’s best selling coffee.
More info on Java Planet Smooth Coffee can be found here on Amazon
Tres Hermanos Fairtrade Low-Acid Organic Coffee
They use a patented process of removing 80% of the acidity and sourness of the coffee and only roast in small batches at a time. So each bag of coffee comes from a perfectly roasted small batch full of care.
More info on Tres Hermanos Fairtrade Coffee can be found here on Amazon
Tips For Reducing The Acidity In Your Coffee
- Drink Cold Brew – By maintaining colder temperatures during the brew, the oils in the beans are never released. Therefore, cold brewed coffee can be up to 70% less acidic than traditional hot
- Brew with Alkaline Water – The minerals found in naturally alkaline water help to balance the acidity and neutralize the bitterness found in coffee beans
- Add Milk or Heavy Cream – Calcium is an acid neutralizer. So of course, milk is the ideal substance to neutralize the acid in your coffee. Adding cream or Half and Half to your coffee is the perfect solution to cut down and neutralize the acidity directly in the cup.
- Chose a Dark Roast -The color of the roast can heavily influence the coffee’s acidity. Dark roasts tend to be much less acidic than lighter ones
Like with most things, moderation is key. Even though these coffee blends are low in acid, if you have symptoms of GERD (acid reflux) then it’s best to cut back on your coffee consumption in general.
You know your body better than anyone else. Drink and enjoy your coffee but also be aware of how much you have and how you feel.
Try different brands and learn how to balance how much you have and what flavors you liked the best.