Keto coffee is coffee with the addition of added fats such as butter, coconut oil, and ghee.
Coffee by itself is already considered to be “keto” but adding healthy fats can boost your ketone levels and help you reach ketosis quicker.
The addition of fat follows the principles of the ketogenic diet, which is a strict low-carb high-fat diet. The purpose of the diet is to induce a state of ketosis in the body, by reducing the consumption of carbohydrates.
Is It Good For You?
This is a touchy subject and I say try it for yourself for a few weeks to see how you feel and make that call yourself.
I’ve tried it. Lost weight and felt good but went back to my old habits because I truly enjoy carbs.
To be honest, adding butter to my coffee sounded weird a first but then I thought about it, I add milk and half and half so it’s the same in my eyes. As far as tastes goes, its very smooth and silky and I enjoy it.
The question is; is it good for you? Well, coffee is rich in antioxidants, which can defend the body against the harmful effects of free radicals that can bring about various illnesses. So we know that much but how about the addition of healthy fats.
Getting your body into Ketosis by consuming low amounts of carbs and a high intake of healthy fats can help reduce systemic inflammation. In addition you’ll also be burning fat, ketosis can make you feel less hungry. It also helps you keep muscle
Things you should know if you try it:
- To get the full affect and your body into ketosis, your meals, not just your coffee should be strict. Following a low carb and high healthy fat intake.
- The first few days are extremely difficult as your body tries to acclimate to such a low level of carbs. During this adjustment you’ll be burning fat instead of glucose, thus the side effects will make you feel awful; which is where the term, keto flu came from.
- You’ll could be depriving yourself in social situations where CARBS are everywhere in a tempting form.
- You’ll need to prepare meals ahead and take them with you since you are confined to eating specific foods.
How To Make Keto Coffee
You will need a blender to make keto coffee because oil and water don’t mix. The only way you will be able to get them to fully combine is by blending them at high speeds.
The following is a basic recipe for making “bulletproof” coffee:
- One cup coffee
- One tablespoon of unsalted grass-fed butter
- One tablespoon of virgin coconut oil
- Brew one cup of coffee using your preferred method.
- Pour the coffee into the blender along with the butter and coconut oil, and any other optional ingredients.
- Pulse the coffee mixture until smooth and frothy.